Thursday, October 30, 2008

Department of Defense

Defensive

According to Dictionary.com:
1. serving to defend; protective
2. made or carried on for the purpose of resisting attack
3. excessively concerned with guarding against the real or imagined threat of criticism, injury to one's ego, or exposure of one's shortcomings
I attended the Damansara Utama Toastmasters Meeting today to support my sister, Chloe, presenting her #2 Speech to become a Competent Toastmaster.

Honestly, I think she did a great job and she managed to add some spice into her speech by relating it to my nephew, Shawn Shawn who think Adolph Hitler as his role model which made me raise my brow for a bit. Of all people on earth? Really?!

Despite all the evil things he has done, and him being a controversial figure, she managed to point out his persuasive character for making the German feel that they are the most powerful man on earth, convince people to do whatever he wants them to do and a man his size( he is tiny) to rule the nation. No doubt until today, his supporters are still around. She even pulled off a few jokes along the way and ended the speech with Shawn's aim is to convince all the kids to give their toys to him. =D Smart boy!

The evaluation part on Chloe's speech, I was not happy about it! The evaluator spent the first half of the speech bringing us around the garden by saying irrelevant points convincing people that he is trying to be nice. He did not point out any strong evidence of her speech that can be improved. Except for her soft voice, mainly because of her wellbeing today. She has flu today but she did not make it as an excuse for not doing well. I salute that.

Anyway, there was a time whereby anyone can volunteer to give comments on the speakers tonight. There, I had an urge to stand up and comment on Chloe's evaluator instead. I guess that is when I realised that I might be a little defensive. He was just trying to help but I just can't take it when he was criticizing Chloe.

So, I restrain myself from expressing any pessimistic gesture by writing my feelings onto my notes. Well, I guess I learned a new technique today. How not to be defensive. I'm not wise yet but at least, I'm making progress.

0 comments: