Thursday, March 20, 2008

JumpStart?

It was a tiring week for me. I just couldn’t really get things right all day. Earlier I was holding my TNG card but heading to a cash lane on LDP toll. Later, I found myself in the supermarket but I intended to go to the gym. My mind couldn’t decifer my thoughts and action properly. So, I decided to go to home before I mix up another thing. Until the next morning, I realize I did the most careless thing ever in years. I forgot to turn off the headlights, depleting the car battery by morning. I had to run out to the main road, bout 2km away from home to catch a cab to class before I miss it. I haven’t been exercising in the morning in a very long time!

All morning, I’ve been calling and texting friends to get solutions how to fix my car, Kancil – Manual.

Step 1:

Go to the carpark entrance and stop any car that enters. Ask for help to jumpstart the car. Well, my experience wasn’t pleasant. I realize how ignorant my neighbors are. They are either rushing off somewhere or just ignore me totally! After about 6 attempts, a man agrees to help but he doesn’t know how to. Although he doesn’t look convince that a girl like me knows what jumpstart is, but he risks his car to help me out.

Step 2:

Ask him to park the car in front facing my car engine. Pop up both the hoods, and let’s do it!

Step 3:

With his car engine still running, connect the black wire to his battery –VE then attach the other end to my car battery. Make sure the connection is correct, –VE = BLACK to BLACK.

Then, do the same to the red wire.

Step 4:

Check again the connection, BLACK to BLACK, RED to RED! This is very important, you don’t want to blow up anything here.

Ladies and G, START the ENGINE!

Step 5:

Don’t get too excited yet. It is not done yet. But I have to let the uncle go, he seems to be checking his watch often.

Now that the engine is running, disconnect all the wires. Close the hood. Do not start driving yet. The car needs to warm up before it starts moving again.

On the neutral gear, press the accelerator until it reaches 2000 rpm – the smaller meter called gauge, and maintain at that rate for at least 5 minutes.

Step 6:

Drive carefully so that it doesn’t stall because it may not start again and I have to repeat the jumpstart procedure all over again. Finding another helpful person to give a lending hand is another hopeless attempt.

Go to my workshop and ask them to change the battery. A cheaper option, you can recharge the battery. But I haven’t change my battery pack for 5 years so it is safer to get a new one. There are 2 types of battery:

  • Water based – need to check water level regularly – once every month; long life span.
  • Non water based – low maintenance but shorter life span

I have the new water based battery pack installed at the price of RM 130.

3 comments:

Brian Lee said...

omg may is dat you?!?!?!?

kyanmay said...

nope..ahahahaaaa!

Anonymous said...

Well, you should always connect the red(positive) first. If you connected the black cables(ground) first, you might get a short if the red cables touched you and it is fatal.