Sunday, April 20, 2008

Are we measured by the no of As?

Watch this.



Ring any bell? Well, I grew up in a typical family that stresses a lot on the As. During the government education days, the rankings are A – Excellent, B – Good, C – Pass, D – Fail (RED pen).


In diploma, University of Science Malaysia(Communications, Advertising), the rankings, CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) are as follow:

  • 80 – 100 A 4.00
  • 75 – 79 A- 3.67
  • 70 – 74 B+ 3.33
  • 65 – 69 B 3.00
  • 60 – 64 B- 2.67
  • 55 – 59 C+ 2.33
  • 50 – 54 C 2.00
  • 45 – 49 C- 1.67
  • Any lower than 40 never happen. Thank god!

But my dad doesn’t know anything bout CGPA. He’d only approve/recognize As. When I show him my results with some A and A- in it, he’d automatically assume that there is

  • Ranking 1 – A+
  • Ranking 2 – A,
  • Ranking 3 – A-,

Thus, for him, A- is equivalent to a C. I tried so hard to convince him there isn’t any A+. Just A followed by A-, and it is still an A. I almost have a heart attack every time I try to explain this to him.


In degree, University of South Australia (Journalism), I’m yet to get my first term result, and the best thing is, it starts with

  • 85 – 100 HD High Distinction
  • 75 – 84 D Distinction
  • 65 – 74 C Credit
  • 55 – 64 P1 Pass Level 1
  • 50 – 54 P2 Pass Level 2
  • Any lower than 50. This will not happen.

I’m hoping to get at least D but on the other hand, I’ll have to go through the whole process of explaining why D is higher ranking than C to my dad. STRESS~! Can’t they just keep to the conventional ranking we have in school? It makes my life so much easier.


As for me, survival + social skills will get me further in my life rather than the no of As.

0 comments: