Monday, June 22, 2009

999

kyanmay: Why did the people push aside the wrecked motorcycle after the accident, they just left to the hospital? *thinking*

Did you see a person lying on the floor?

Yeah, I think I saw it too.

OMG~! Literally, WTH~! It was 4am on Jalan Cheras, there I spotted a man lying on the middle of the road. Of all the emergency numbers I saved on my phonebook, I panicky asked my friend, ‘Is the emergency line 999?' I parked my car further in front and made the call while my friend is looking out if he has any movement.

After two rings,

Operator: Selamat pagi, encik. Boleh saya bantu?

kyanmay: Kak, saya berada di hadapan PGRM, Cheras. Jejantas selepas Jaya Jusco, Maluri. Saya nampak seorang lelaki terbaring di tanah, accident motorcycle. *still in panic mode*

Operator: Apakah nama encik?

kyanmay: Leong Kuan May. Kak, dia baring kat sana, tak gerak!

Operator: Ok, no telefon encik, 012 XXX XXXX, ke?

kyanmay: Ya, ya…

At least 1 1/2 minutes past, asking protocol questions and repeating my personal information…she proceed to confirm where exactly is the accident scene. Then, she put me on hold…du du, du du…

At the same time, I was trying to stop my friend from stepping out of the car to help the casualty. After all, it was 4am and we are dressed in shorts and tube top. Don’t think it is wise to jeopardize our own safety in trade of his. I am not running a Mother Theresa campaign.

Operator: Hospital tidak jawab. Adakah nombor telefon encik, 012 XXX XXXX? Terima kasih, encik.

Well, luckily within the next 5 minutes. Passerby stop and help carry him up.  We left soon after we saw him walking by himself and some other people were looking after him. We did our part as a concerned civilian to alert the authorities.

Is there a lot of people out there who has nothing to do and casually call into the emergency line just for fun? Thus, it results to such strict protocol for them to be sure this is not a prank call before they proceed to make further steps.

I don’t blame the emergency line because I do understand there are a lot of motorcycle accidents happening every hour and it might be just a false alarm but I do think they should refine the system to make it work more efficient.

What if there is a real serious emergency, every second is fatal.